NORTHERN LIGHTS LOCAL ASSOCIATION NO 15 CONSTITUTION
1. The name of this local shall be the Northern Lights local association of The Alberta Teachers' Association.
2. The area served by this local association shall include the Northern Lights School Division.
3. (1) All active members of The Alberta Teachers' Association employed within the boundaries listed in section 2 are members of this local.
(2) Associate members of The Alberta Teachers' Association such as are assigned from time to time by the Provincial Executive Council of the Association and who pay the prescribed local association fee may become members of this local association with all rights and privileges of active members.
4. The objects of this local association shall be to further the objects of The Alberta Teachers' Association as set out in section 4 of the Teaching Profession Act and ATA General Bylaws.
5. This local association shall have the power, subject to approval of the Provincial Executive Council of The Alberta Teachers' Association, to levy fees for membership in this local association such as are determined from time to time in a general meeting of the local association. Such fees shall be additional to the fees prescribed by the Annual Representative Assembly.
Rules of Procedure
6. The proceedings of all meetings—general, special and executive committee—shall be regulated by the official Rules of Order and Procedure as published in the Members' Handbook.
7. The governing body of this local shall be a general meeting of its members, 10 percent of whom shall constitute a quorum.
8. A general meeting of this local shall be held at least once a year to hear/deal with reports, including an annual financial statement and an annual budget, hold elections, approve and set policy and deal with such other matters as may arise.
9. The executive committee of this local shall consist of: president, two vice-presidents, past president, secretary, treasurer, local representatives, chairs of standing committees and such
others as may be decided by a general meeting, and a communications officer who shall be appointed but have no voting privileges.
10. Over one-half of the members of the executive committee shall constitute a quorum.
11. It shall be the duty of the executive committee to act as the administrative body of the local, to prepare the agenda of business for all meetings, to prepare and transmit to head office of The Alberta Teachers' Association such reports and statements with reference to the affairs of the local association as may be required by the Provincial Executive Council of The Alberta Teachers' Association, to ensure that all Association moneys are used to further the objects of the Association as set out in the Teaching Profession Act and to ensure that there is liaison between the local and all employing boards within the local. The executive committee should appoint ad hoc committees and prepare frames of reference for same, subject to ratification at a general meeting.
12. The executive committee shall meet at least four times in the school year or as often as local business requires.
Notice of Meetings
13. Notices of intent to hold a general, special or an executive meeting shall be distributed by the secretary at least five school days before such meeting is to be held, and such notices shall include an outline or agenda of business to be discussed at the meeting, provided, however, that any meeting may, by a two-thirds vote of the total number of members on the roster, waive notice of a meeting or of any motion brought before the meeting.
14. Meetings of this local association or of any bargaining unit(s) within the local shall be called by the president or on the request of the executive committee or on the written request of ten members of the local or at the request of the representative(s) to the regional economic policy committee or the chair of the economic policy committee, as applicable, or at the request of an officer of The Alberta Teachers' Association or of the district representative of whose district this local association forms a part.
15. A record shall be kept of all those attending general, special and executive committee meetings of this local.
16. An officer of The Alberta Teachers' Association or district representative of whose district this local forms a part may attend and participate in any meeting (general or executive) of this local association.
Duties of Officers
17. (1) An ATA officer shall not vote. A district representative shall not vote except at a general meeting of a local of which the representative is a member.
(2) President—The duties of the president shall be:
(a) to call and preside at all general and executive committee meetings of this local association,
(b) to exercise general supervision over the affairs of this local association,
(c) to serve as a local representative to representative assemblies.
(3) Vice-President(s)—The duties of the vice-president shall be:
(a) to take charge of the affairs of this local association in the absence of the president,
(b) to assist the president in the discharge of duties,
(c) to serve as local representatives to representative assemblies,
(d) to serve as president of sub-local.
(4) Secretary—The duties of the secretary shall be:
(a) to keep accurate records of all proceedings of this local association,
(b) to bring before the executive committee of this local association all communications received by the local,
(c) to prepare and send to The Alberta Teachers' Association such statements and reports as may be required from time to time,
(d) to prepare and send notices calling all meetings, whether regular, special, local council or executive committee.
(5) Treasurer—The duties of the treasurer shall be:
(a) to prepare at the direction of the executive committee, an annual budget for the local,
(b) to keep accurate records of all moneys received and collected and to take charge of same,
(c) to appoint an independent auditor subject to ratification by the Local Executive Committee,
(d) to present an audited annual financial statement at the Annual General Meeting,
(e) to make the necessary disbursements of the funds of this local association as authorized by the executive committee,
(f) to prepare and send to The Alberta Teachers' Association such statements and reports as may be required from time to time.
(6) Local Representatives—The duties of each local representative of this local association shall be:
(a) to represent this local association at all representative assemblies of The Alberta Teachers' Association,
(b) to report the proceedings of all representative assemblies to the executive committee and to such other gatherings as may be decided,
(c) to attend meetings of this local association.
(7) Economic Policy Committee (EPC) Chair—The duties of the EPC chair shall be:
(a) as outlined in EPC frame of reference.
(8) Teacher Board Liaison Committee (TBLC) Chair—The duties of the TBLC chair shall be:
(a) as outlined in TBLC frame of reference.
(9) Professional Development Committee (PD) Chair—The duties of the PD committee chair shall be:
(a) as outlined in PD committee frame of reference.
(10) Communications Officer—It shall be the responsibility of this officer to carry out a communications program with the teachers in the local and between the local and its various publics. All actions of this officer shall be subject to prior approval by the executive of the local involved.
18. (1) Economic Policy Committee (EPC)—It shall be the duty of this committee [or in the case where the local encompasses more than one bargaining unit, these committees]:
(a) to gather and study data and prepare proposed amendments to the salary agreement for consideration of members of the bargaining unit(s) affected,
(b) where applicable, to elect the appropriate number of representatives to the Regional Economic Policy Committee (REPC).
(2) Negotiating Subcommittee—The negotiating subcommittee shall be chosen from and by the economic policy committee. It shall be the duty of this subcommittee to engage in collective bargaining with the board of trustees.
(3) Local Communications Committee—The duty of this committee shall be to render all assistance required by the communications officer to facilitate both internal and external communications.
(4) Professional Development Committee—The duty of this committee shall be to assume general responsibility for all professional development activities including convention undertaken by this local association.
(5) Teacher Board Liaison Committee (TBLC)—The duties of the TBLC chair shall be:
19. (1) The president, secretary, treasurer and local representatives shall be elected annually by a vote of the members of this local association and shall assume office on July 1 following their election.
(2) Each bargaining unit within the local shall elect an economic policy committee in accordance with the EPC frame of reference.
(3) One convention board representative shall be elected from each sublocal, Lakeland and Lac La Biche.
(4) A vacancy on the executive committee occurring between annual elections shall be filled by election of a member of this local association by the remaining members of the executive committee.
(5) Should one or more of the local representatives be unable to fulfil their term of office, replacements shall be elected by the executive committee.
20. This local shall have the following sublocals:
(1) Lac La Biche sublocal
(2) Lakeland sublocal
21. Each sublocal shall operate under a constitution which must be approved by the executive committee and ratified by the Provincial Executive Council of The Alberta Teachers' Association.
22. The powers and duties of each sublocal shall be as shown in its constitution.
Substitute Teachers' Group
23. (1) At the request of ten or more substitute teacher members, this local shall organize a substitute teacher group.
(2) Those eligible for participation in the group shall be members who substituted for one of the employing jurisdictions included in the local for at least one day during the previous twelve-month period.
(3) An appropriate budget for the group shall be established.
(4) The frame of reference for the group shall be as follows:
(a) its objects shall be to advance the professional skills and knowledge unique to substitute teaching and to advance within the local the special interests of substitute teachers,
(b) it shall have at least one general meeting per year,
(c) it shall elect a chair, a vice-chair, a secretary-treasurer and two members-at-large to an executive which shall be responsible for organizing activities to promote the objects of the group,
(d) its executive shall present to the local an annual report of its activities and of the disbursement of its funds.
24. The financial year of this local shall be May 1 to April 30.
25. (1) This local association shall reimburse members acting on its behalf for all necessary out-of-pocket expenses.
(2) This local association shall pay all expenses as determined and authorized by the executive committee.
26. Amendments to this constitution may be made after a two-month notice of motion of a two-thirds vote at a general meeting of this local association, subject to ratification by the Provincial Executive Council of The Alberta Teachers' Association.
Ratified by Provincial Executive Council 1994 12 03
Ratified by Table Officers Committee on behalf of Provincial Executive Council, 1996 11 18
About the Local